9/11 20th anniversary poll

Yeah, and even righties like myself are currently looking for Fox alternatives.

But anyhoo, this is a discussion of my 20th anniversary stream of 9/11 news coverage. I put up a straw poll for you ladies and gents to vote on which network to use for the stream.

These were pre-attack broadcasts from almost each network listed in the poll (the BBC’s absent here). Judge for yourselves:

ABC:

CBC:

CBS:

CNN:

FOX:

NBC:

I know, and that is fine, but it could easily drift in another direction in the comments and that could be heated and emotionel. Just see how the railway topic ended up discussing octanes :wink:

2 Likes

lol, I’m the moderator of this topic here. :slight_smile: I’m streaming not just for the purposes of getting some historical perspective, but also to relate what you (if you were alive, obviously) and I saw that day.

Ok we will see what happens. Anyway, I need a post to flag for my badge collection, so I will stay tuned in. :denmark::heart::us:

2 Likes

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

OK, I will make that post then, Danish is the Dutch language but written backwards when drunk :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :innocent:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bear:

2 Likes

Weren’t they the people who sold the americans the lie of WMD’s for a war with iraq?

1 Like

Many major networks did, not just CNN.

2 Likes

I’m now leaning towards ABC, since I see a lot of praise for them.

Personally, on that day, I was watching Fox Kids in the afternoon. They had some girly cartoon on. Then some text appeared at the top and they cut to an emergency news broadcast.

Later in the evening, my parents sent me to the grocery store to get something, and the streets were like a ghost town. No cars, no people, eerie silence. Even the lady in the grocery store had one of those small portable radios and was listening to the news.

2 Likes

Danke weel, You are so understanding, and yes, dutch are rather easy read (not spoken) by Danes.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with spoken Dutch? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Back home in Lewiston, I woke up early that day, so early that I still remember many of the morning news stories from ABC and CBC – the Andrea Yates trial, Michael Jordan’s potential return to basketball, talks of a new coalition in the Canadian Parliament, problems faced by students studying abroad…

And then, the attacks happened. I already knew it was a terrorist attack before the second plane hit (the big giveaway was the very clear sky that day over NYC). Just as I was discussing that with my sister, we saw the second plane crash live.

1 Like

Nothing - just broken tongues

1 Like

Here in Denmark it was afternoon, and my wife called that a plane had hit WTC and I thought of a small Cessna or so. After that we followed live, and I can still feel the horror I felt when the towers went down.

1 Like

Later that day, I had a chat with folks on the internet and they all were deeply saddened and scared by the events of the day. I remember asking them to maintain some level of optimism over the future of this nation and:

…make sure that we do our part in getting those responsible…

…and that:

We will get through these tough times.

We didn’t have Internet at the time. It was mostly limited to Internet cafes. Most people still relied on cable news and printed news papers.

1 Like

I’ve had it since 1992, though not the same obviously. We had chatrooms, news sites and camgirls (among others) by '01. Even Newgrounds had users who were scared and angry at the events of the day.

1 Like

Here’s the Newgrounds page, Sept. 22, 2001 (make sure you have Ruffle to see the Flash animations):

https://web.archive.org/web/20010922132853/http://newgrounds.com/