1930 02 The Worldwide Fascist Surge (not just the future Axis Powers, but worldwide)

it is not well known but the fascist dictator of greece Ioannis Metaxas provided the communists and anarchists with guns and ammunition during the spanish civil war. here is a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrkal

what about that huh?

2 Likes

Bodosakis provided, not Metaxas, it was a private company, not state-controlled…

1 Like

yes Bodosakis provided, but he couldn’t do it without the approval and help from Metaxas.

2 Likes

Greek Arms Dealing in the Spanish Civil War

We know that PYRKAL as a private company didn’t need the approval of Metaxas, but it is true that the Greek government after the fact had no problem of PYRKAL supplying both the Nationalists and the Republicans. Since the Republicans had more need for ammo than the Nationalists, they were better customers. Greece needed hard currency and the Spanish Civil War greatly helped PYRKAL to grew. About the personal involvement of Metaxas we are not sure (page 68), since he kept Greece strictly neutral and had representatives at both sides of the civil war.

5 Likes

well, in a country that at the time some songs needed approval from the government to be played, it is hard to believe that there was not a personal involvement of Metaxas, since he was a friend of Bodosakis, some arms were supposedely bound for the greek army, there was an undisputable involment of mexico in the case, there is at least one mention of Metaxas signature in a related document (that has been lost or destroyed, but there a mention to it) and of course there were many complains from the spanish nationalists. Not to mention the collaboration with the soviet union. I think it is impossible that Metaxas knew nothing about all of it and that his approval or help was not needed. Metaxas was not a puppet…
Anyway , the fact that greece (and poland) that was under a fascist and nationalistic regime was selling guns and munition to the communists and anarchists is a very interesting fact that i think it is underestimated, since it points how things really work.

offtopic
Αθανασίoυ, I saw, some time before, the video about stratis mirivilis and i really enjoyed it, it was a pleasant surprise and something that i believe it was fitting and needed. I appreciate your contribution here :+1:

4 Likes

FYI, starting compiling/ doing research for this episode this week. It’s going to be B2W 1932 - 04. Thanks for all the contributions!

6 Likes