1924 02 Sport, health and fitness

Author: Not Decided

Please post any ideas or research for this episode that you want to contribute in this topic. If the episode hasn’t been assigned to an author yet, you can note your intent to write in the string too, and we will contact you to discuss.

2 Likes

Hello Spartacus,

I’m a military historian and I did my master thesis about what kind of influence the dutch conscription, and army setup, had on the dutch male youth. More specifically the dutch politically and military discussion* on what version (Prussian vs. Swiss) they should implement.

• The discussion (±1860- ±1914) was about the length of the conscription, how large the army should be and how the army should look; by Prussian example (long conscription with a professional standing army but small) versus the Swiss (a short conscription and a large peoples/militia army).
    This discussion changed at the end of the century and started to include the question how to prepare the young men for conscription. This led to the rise of school gymnastics, scouts, sportclubs and cadets.
    Eventhough my thesis was about the Netherlands i say large similarities around Europe.
    WW 1 caused a pause instead of being purely a break in ideas and outcome. I also saw that the scouting groups pre WW1 were more or less military led and between the wars politically led scouting groups were formed.

Maybe it is an idea about how the rise of the Prussian military and their victory’s (1870) led to the discussion in almost all European countries about their armies and the prepping of youngsters for conscription. Especially the differences before and after WW1.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Pim

5 Likes

I’dd love to see something about Kurt Landauer, a former jewish president off Bayern Munich before and after the second world war. Under his leadership they became german champions for the first time in 1932 and he was Jewish which ment that he had to step down a year later because it was getting a bit to dangerous but he kept doing his job in the background. He was later captured by the nazis and was transported to Dachau where he was allowed to leave because I believe that he got a medal in the first world war but the nazis did kill his siblings. He then escaped to switserland. Later in a friendly game in switserland, the players were explicitly told beforehand not to seek contact with their former club president or there would be consequences. (sidenote, the Bayern Munich captain burried the silverwhere they had won in his garden so the nazis couldn’t take it away from them) After the game they spotted him in the stands and many of the players linded up in front of him and started clapping to show their support. I think that those players were then punished by being sent to the front lines becuase someone of the nazi government saw this open act of resistance. After the war he initially wanted to leave to America but eventually decided to go back to Munich and rebuild the club. He made it possible to play football again and rebuild the stadium together with 1860 Munich (which supported the nazis during the war) at the Grünwalder Strasse where now the stadium is shared between 1860 and Bayern Munichs second team.

4 Likes