Today is Canada’s darkest day of the war

Today marks the worst single defeat the Canadians would suffer during the war yet provide valuable intelligence for future naval landings in Africa, Italy and Normandy.

This of course was the Dieppe raid.

5 Likes

Here’s how the news covered it:

4 Likes

A thought to the brave Canadians :canada::heart::denmark:

6 Likes

And the British, the French, the U.S. Rangers and a few others :pray:

6 Likes

This year (spoiler alert) a Dutch movie is finally shown despite the covid crises: De Slag om de Schelde (The Battle for the river Scheld), a great hommage to all the brave Canadians and Allied troops fighting to free our country. It really is a good film and I am proud that we in the Netherlands can produce a Hollywoodlike movie!

5 Likes

If that movie isn’t dubbed and sent over here to Canada with a Department of Canadian Heritage grant I am going to start a Twitter war until it is. We’re having a Federal election right now too; this deserves to be talked about!

Do you know how invisible Canada is in war movies? I have seen all of two Hollywood war movies featuring the Canadian Army.

Where’s the Governor General when you need her? Send that flick over by vice-regal command!

6 Likes

In the Netherlands the Canadians are held in high regard and known for their part in the liberation of the the Netherlands.
I think the movie should also be available in the rest of the world under an different name, on IMDB I see it as The forgotten battle

3 Likes

This video shows how Denmarks was saved by Canadians from being part of the Russian Zone in the final days of WW2 - We had one Island “Bornholm” that was bombed and occupied by the Russian for several months, so the case in the video is pure reality.

Look at this:

2 Likes

Sorry for that, but today I think of the Canadians. There will come plenty of days where all the otheres are in my thoughts.

3 Likes

I listed them because they participated in the raid as well.

2 Likes

I agree while USA and others are often highlighted in movies/etc the Canadians were there from the beginning. While everyone likes to fly their own flag, I accept that BUT researchers tend to put them in the back seat. I just watched a you tube video on how Canadian forces forced their way through the toughest battles in Italy, in the end they slowed down at Rome so the USA could march in as victors. Partially because the Canadians had worked so hard that they gave them a break. So any pictures you see of Italy is of US troups. When a considerable amount of work was done by the Canadians.
Canada’s longest Second World War army campaign was in Italy. To Quote one source “Canadian forces served in the heat, snow and mud of the grinding, nearly two-year Allied battle across Sicily and up the Italian peninsula—prying the country from Germany’s grip, at a cost of more than 26,000
Over 1 Million service people served in the Canadian military. (including my Mother and Father in law. My dad served elsewhere) So in conclusion. I respect all the people who served. By I do wish the Canadians were given a little more exposure.
Regards.

2 Likes

I will have to look this up. My Father in law served in the Canadian Army and was in Holland. He talked about how the Dutch people gave him food, despite it being scarce for them and not quite to his liking but he accepted it knowing it was a sacrifice for for them.

One story my father told, (he was in the Air Force), was that before the Germans left Holland they where told to fly over Holland and as he said “Waggle their Wings” you know left and right. I said Dad what on earth did you do that for. He said, "To encourage the Dutch people. " That is, to say to the Dutch people “Look we are not far away, we re coming, and see what we can do and not be harassed by the German’s” I dont think anyone has ever recorded this event? He said looking down on the houses of the dutch people mostly what he notice was white stoops or porches. Unclear about the truth of this but thats what he seems to remember.
Regards

1 Like

If Netflix is to be believed it appears that it is coming to Netflix Oct 15. We wait anxiously.

1 Like

I hope I can encourage the collected Canadian history community here to put on a good showing for D-Day sponsorship. If we can’t get decent time for 3rd Canadian Division I am going to cry.

I also look forward, I hope, to more stories about the Manhattan Project. ALL uranium used in that project, every ounce of it, was refined at Port Hope, ON. The refinery is still in business, I know people who work there; I am.in the same trade union (United Steelworkers).

There is sn.International dimension to the Manhattan Project that is underplayed.

2 Likes