The World War 2 Obscure Trivia Thread

That’s not what I was looking for but I am intrigued. Do tell more.

1 Like

Focke-Wulf Ta-154.

3 Likes

It appears you’re right, but I was thinking about this monster
Me323Bundesarchiv-978x517
This is the Me 323 Gigant
me323_0582-01-1-1

3 Likes

Actually a bit of googling suggests that you might be onto something there. I’d got it into my head the guy was Polish for some reason.

2 Likes

Major Vladimir Peniakoff, and the Libyan Arab Force Commando (aka Popski’s Private Army). I have his autobiography; thoroughly recommended.

EDIT: More about him here.

Popski

3 Likes

Popski’s Private Army is indeed the one.

Linky.

1 Like

During WWII, which group of communists enjoyed playing Monopoly?

1 Like

I don’t know about that, but I do remember reading somewhere that the British Government (secret service MI9) made Monopoly games and sent them to PoWs in German camps, but the games contained maps or files disguised as play pieces.

This article explains it all: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/01/how-monopoly-games-helped-allied-pows-escape-during-world-war-ii/266996/

2 Likes

Nearly. Here’s a hint; bored SOE agents.

1 Like

Hint #2 They all, SOE and communists, played it for an entire monsoon season.

1 Like

Well that must’ve been in Asia then I think, but even a google search didn’t help me on this one :confused:

1 Like

Malaya somewhere perhaps?

1 Like

Doesn’t get much hotter than the Malay jungle during the monsoon season. :wink:

A pair of SOE agents, and a bunch of teenagers from the Malayan Communist Party (MCP) got stuck without a radio somewhere in the jungles of the Malay Peninsular. To pass the time, one of the SOE agents carved out bits of wood to represent all the pieces and cards from Monopoly, and started to play a game with his colleague. This intrigued the teenagers, because despite being ardent Communists, they also had inherited the local love for gambling. Pretty soon, the earnest comrades were haggling over property deals.

EDIT: SOE: Arms and the Dragon (Start at 35m7s)

1 Like

Which model of aircraft was known as the Porcupine?

1 Like

I’m 99% sure it was a British flying boat of some kind. Short Sunderland?

1 Like

Famous quotes. Who said this and why?

“Sink, burn, destroy. Let nothing pass.”

2 Likes

:+1:

That’s it, in a waterproof nutshell…

2 Likes

All I’ve got is “.…crush, kill, destroy!”

2 Likes

If you want a clue, let’s just say that it involved some seriously overdue retribution.

2 Likes

Retribution, and sinking naval vessels. Mmmn… I’m going to take a punt and suggest it’s a US Navy admiral, and it’s from either the Battle of Midway, or one of the naval actions associated with the Battle for Guadalcanal.

1 Like