The fall of Benito Mussolini (7-25-43)

Not yet, my friend. Not yet.

1 Like

It is Italy after all. So this tactic will not apply to other nations.

2 Likes

Well, I always have been guilty of jumping ahead.

Yeah but if you are looking for confirmation it might, then here you go. When historians look back at the war crime that they claim bombing to be you can’t forget that to those issuing the orders it looks like it is paying off.

3 Likes

Excellent point,to the Allies going on till the last made no sense this bombing helped to convince. Did the Italians care more for their kids than their “leader”?. When making a strategic choice decision makers assume some logical sense,

Then again historians by definition work with 20/20 hindsight which makes criticising ways.

3 Likes

Historians are just like patholigists. They survey the scene, tear everything apart to reach the conclusions as to what happened and what the causes were. And it’s always too late to make a difference :grinning:

4 Likes

I have to agree (I have a history degree as well). We both lived during the cold war and in hindsight it is very easy to pinpoint the “causes” with many countries having different views on what caused the slow ending. Which hardly anyone predicted. Back then I played the simulation game balance of power in 1986 or so on the Amiga and basically everything you tried meant DEFCON 1. (think tennis but then with Nukes :frowning:

3 Likes

To put on a “Timeshift expirement”:

Imagine we live in the same neighborhood in e.g. the USA and have Normans’ newspapers delivered to us every morning. Moreover we all have a giant maps were we draw out the front. Of course we know how World War 1 ended without having to march into Germany proper. (In spite of the snail pace).

Until June 1942 we were hanging on by our fingernails but now:
Syria is in Allied hands
The Germans + followers were mauled at Stalingrad
The ginormous North African coast is cleared of Germans and Italians
And now in Sicily the AXIS wheels seem to be coming off.

After all Germany gave up 25 years ago after losing its partners, what should we think? The German situation seems hopeless or not?

2 Likes

Huh. Emulating Matthew Broderick, eh?

2 Likes

Still a great flick this is the game I was talking about. I remember that graphics to be a lot less crappy :wink:

Balance of Power 1985 [Amiga] - Tedious Retro Gamer - YouTube

2 Likes

I wish I still in London which gas a cinema which still offers these jewels on the big screen. They even restarted their hilarious :joy: singalongs.

1 Like

I believe Italy was done even before they joined uncle Adi’s French campaign.

Italy had pretty much bankrupted itself supporting the Spanish nationalists both in terms of money and materiel. Also, the Italian ‘volunteers’ have the unenviable record of being the only ones to lose a battle against a disorganized anarchist batallion.

Fun fact: most of the republican victories were by those other than the Spanish communist led units, and most of its heavy defeats precisely by those Spanish communists. Of course, others were blamed, but the truth is still clear. Republican Spain would still exist today (probably) if it hadn’t been for Moscow’s insistence on propaganda offensives (ie military offensives for propaganda reasons).