Spartacus, this question has been a deep one. Why did the Allies, especially America, did not do anything to combat racism in their armies?

WWII was much more important, though even in WWI, the blacks who served were noted (which was why I recommended those sources I listed).

Not too harsh in Florida, from what I read.

Fair point. WW2 changed a lot of things for ppl and WW1 kinda did, but Wilson wasn’t the best president to enact it

Depending on the part of Florida. Sundown town’s here, oh for sure yk it’d be harsh. North Florida is kinda progressive, down South… Ehhh

Indeed also in the Netherlands and Belgium there was a huge amount of Racism and to be frank there still is IMHO a lot of Racism within development aid workers who too often really think the locals are willing to ditch their own religion/customs and REALLY need Westeners to tell them how to live their lives. E.g. schooling which ignores the locals or Western pilots pinching pilot jobs from locals who know how to fly just as well or even much better as they are used to local weather and climate and not having a tons of radio beacons around.

Racism isn’t uniquely American. Back in the forties it was even more the norm, and most Western Empires wanted their colonies back.

Chewie

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but that’s not how you should see the '40s. That’s a very biased modern view. If you’ve put yourself in the shoes of someone living in the '40s (look at my America at war! thread and my reply to the U.S. Army racism video), you’d be quite surprised.

2 Likes

Well, not that I actually liked this article, because it is very cruel, but gave it a like anyway because this is an important topic.

2 Likes

You don’t have to like what he wrote, it’s still an important article :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sigh. It’s complicated, but FDR is a seminal figure. The New Deal inverted the US political structure and it took 50 years to fully work through the changes from this period.

1. Afican Amrricans did push and succeeded in gaining desegregation in war industries by Ex3mecutive Order and the beginnings of desegregation in the military.

2. Until FDR, the Democrats had been the conservative party in US politics. It had been that way since the Civil War. The Republican Party was the party of Lincoln and had a forthright racial equality plank in its platform each and every election.

3. After the New Deal, the progressives became a key part of the Democratic Party and replaced the Southern Redeemer Democrats, though this took 50 years to fully happen.

4. FDR had to corral a wildly incoherent coalition of northern progressives and southern conservatives while in office and race was the key issue where he often blinked. He had to placate or buy off any number of senior congressmen and senators, many southern. Future democratic presidents would not ge so lucky.

2 Likes

I would argue Progressives have been a key part in the general political zeitgeist since the 1890s and especially with Woodrow Wilson’s presidency in 1913-20. Though the progressives like Wallace obviously got clout with FDR.

1 Like

They had, but until the New Deal they had been Republican. You didn’t gave to deal with Redeemers in the Republican Party.

Please explain Woodrow Wilson then. Sure, he was racially prejudiced but does that automatically negate his Progressivist outlook?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say Wilson was that progressive. Teddy Roosevelt was even more progressive domestically.

Not so in 1912. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone in 1912, you’d say that Wilson was pretty much a progressive. And I don’t mean that positively.

1 Like

I disagree. But it does show the incoherence that had developed in the Democratic Party.

1 Like

What’s the KKK (ku klux Klan?)? I mean . I know full form but what did they do

1 Like

Correct, it’s the Ku Klux Klan.

2 Likes

So they are a Batshit crazy organisation that seeks to spread chaos?

2 Likes

You could say that. My grandfather despised them for not just their views on blacks, but Catholics too.

2 Likes

So… What religion did they follow?