Racism of the US Army - Fighting for Freedom? - WW2 Special

Precisely, 2012 only. Holyoak’s gofundme that I posted above requests money so he can come to the states and ‘investigate’ and find the truth.

BTW is 2012 with the first black president of the US in his first term, you think Mr Holyoak would find accommodation of his requests at the US Army.

2 Likes

From the Pittsburgh Press (May 21, 1942), on the Navy situation:

1 Like

I can’t believe I missed this in my initial post, because it’s a pet peeve of mine. I really dislike the term “people of color”. Not only grammatically questionable, but it seems as if the video was trying to be politically correct (which historians should really stop doing). Just like the content of that video. :roll_eyes:

I may be old-fashioned, but “blacks”, “colored people,” and even “Negro” are just fine imho.

2 Likes

All good points Norman.

In this post, I really do like your ‘My Suggestions’ for TimeGhost- apparently they needed reminding that history is not malleable and modern politics have no place in it.

2 Likes

I don’t totally, the balance and checks in the 14 points had the goal to prevent another war

Apart from illogicalities it makes for a moving target as politically correct alternatives became politically incorrect. If you go that road any publication runs the risk of cancellation.

History belongs in its historic timeframe people are smart enough to understand that language changed over time, even if they pretend not to. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

An editorial from the Brooklyn Eagle (August 31, 1942):

2 Likes

I didn’t see the episode yet, but this is a fascinating answer which gives a better understanding to a complex problem. A lot of work. Thanks Norman.

3 Likes

It’s a weak presentation, as revealed here…

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. :slight_smile: Race relations and segregation in the U.S. was and still is a passionate topic for me, partly because of family history (I’m a descendant of slave owners) and also partly because of how the way it’s being taught had been corrupted over the years by ideologues, the ridiculousness of which we still have to deal with and rectify today.

I do have to say though, this video was at least better than the Cold War channel’s video on the Civil Rights Movement, which somehow managed to be even worse than Sparty’s video in that the presenter was more deliberate in his ideological twists.

2 Likes

Wait… How was it controversial?

2 Likes

To give you an example: Churchill condemned it, Kipling defended it.

2 Likes

Here’s another important article:

1 Like