US memorial on Guadalcanal

Iilju river
Battle of Ilju/Tenaru river - app place where the famous photo were taken

bloody ridge
Bloody Ridge

bloody ridge barbed wire
Bloody Ridge - barbed wire

jap had to go through
No wonder the japs got lost - this was the area they had to go through to approach Bloody Ridge

jungle vegitation
And through this for several days

beached japanese cargoship
Beached japanese cargo ships - the remains - good for diving

munro2
munro1
Memorial service for Munro

jap artelleri3
jungle1
jungle2
jungle3
jungle4
Relics left to visit

jfk saviour
This guy was one of those who saved JFK

UssSampson1
USS Sampson on visit

UssSampsonfuneral
Funeral for a sister to one of the sailors lost on USS Quincy. She had requested to be laid to rest together with her brother

o5 cal
Well - back to basis - a 0,5 cal on a modern warship to protect against approching speed boats with terrorists

9 Likes

Too Awesome for words! Great Pictures!

Scott

3 Likes

Awesome pictures, I want to go there as well, someday :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For those interested:

3 Likes

I have a special connection to this story. On Guadalcanal I was reading Thomas B. Franks excellent book about Guadalcanal. I was reading on the lawn of the hotel, and looked into the maps now and then.

I realised that the event with Munro happend exactly on the Beach in front of the hotel. So I was looking at the exact place I was reading about. There were a very fine memorial for Munro with high ranking naval officers and fine speeches.

6 Likes

Terrific photos Finn, thank you very much for sharing.

3 Likes

These are fantastic, thank you for sharing them here! Very moving about the sailor’s sister being laid to rest on the spot where he made the ultimate sacrifice so long ago.

4 Likes

We had American Soviet documentary movie “Unknown war” 1978 in Soviet Union. That movie made in US for American, who doesn’t know about Eastern front and terrible battles in Kiev, Kharkov, Stalingrad and Rzhev e t c. So we need the same movie “Unknown war 2” about South Pacific battles. Like Guadalcanal battle.

4 Likes