Eleanor Roosevelt – My Day (Aug. 1940)

August 24, 1940

Hyde Park, Friday –
I spent three hours this afternoon at the Girl Scout camp in Westchester County, New York. Since they were unable to assemble girls from all over the world, as they usually do, they assembled girls from most of the countries in this hemisphere. The most striking thing was the sense of complete understanding and friendliness which existed between the girls from the United States, who were hostesses, and the girls from other countries, who were guests but who told me:

It is just home.

At supper I sat at a different place with each course and thereby managed to be with almost all the delegates from different lands. The average age is about seventeen. Most of them spoke English except a young girl from Guatemala, and she had already picked up a few words. I amused to have the girls from Brazil tell me that the movies helped perfect their English, for the schools give them two years of English and take the girls once a week to the American movies.

There was a charming flag ceremony and singing, varied by the Brazilian girl playing her guitar while all sang to her accompaniment.

A young Mexican girl, with a friend, danced a Mexican dance in a costume made by her mother. The skirt was covered with innumerable paillettes of variegated colors, a piece of work which must have taken endless days to accomplish and which was very lovely. The girl from Panama showed a charming costume and two girls from the Argentine did a native dance in a country costume.

We visited the various camps and I was especially pleased to note the ingenuity by which the advanced campers made themselves comfortable in tents without any floors. In one camp they cooked entirely in the open with no tent over their heads. We ended the evening at the open air theatre with a campfire burning brightly on a high rock and all the girls wrapped in blankets, for these August nights are cold and some of them told me they had borrowed as many blankets as they could find to sleep under.

I have in my mail a query from a woman who wants to know if, instead of telegraphing Congressmen and Senators, when she wants to register an opinion on any subject, it would not do as well to send a postcard. I think if you can possibly afford it, a letter will probably receive more consideration, but I do think it important that you register your opinions on subjects of importance to all the people. After all, that is democracy in action, isn’t it?

August 26, 1940

Hyde Park, Sunday –
I seem to be quite behindhand in telling you what I am doing, so let us go all the way back to last Friday, when I drove from here to Westbrook, Connecticut. I finally discovered a way to get there without going through New Haven. The roads are good and the scenery is lovely.

The City of New Haven has always been a difficult one for me through which to drive. Invariably I lose my way, or I don’t see a red light and am admonished by a policeman. In fact, I think I have a complex about New Haven for I am sure to get into trouble there.

We had a beautiful day with our friends Miss Esther Lape and Miss Elizabeth Read, lunching under the trees and sniffing the salt air. We took a walk through the woods, which they are still clearing though the hurricane is a thing of the past. On our return homeward, we enjoyed a most beautiful sunset from the crest of every hill. Red and gold seemed to be the predominant colors and they spread out before us for miles and reflected in every lake and stream.

Saturday was one of those days when we are thankful for the privilege of being alive. In the morning I rode up through the woods to the top of the hills beyond our cottage and could see the distant mountains in every direction. They stood out as though I could almost touch them in the clear atmosphere.

I see by the papers that upstate New York has had a frost which has nipped the crops and, of course, must have ruined the gardens. Much as I like this cool weather, I hope we are spared frost, for I should hate to see the flowers withered so soon. The trees have not begun to turn yet, though I have been expecting to see a red maple any day.

At about noon yesterday, a number of our friends with seven active youngsters, appeared for a swim and a picnic lunch. Afterwards we all went over to look at the library where books, ship models and gifts to the President are gradually being unpacked. From there we went up to see the Vanderbilt estate.

They are having an average of 250 visitors a day there, which shows that the American public is anxious to see these houses which were once built to show what one could do with money where one lived after the European pattern. This life is probably now a thing of the past, just as surely as the palaces and castles of Europe are, for most of us have learned to enjoy simplicity of living rather than grandeur.

Franklin Jr. came up in the evening and I think he is acquiring much experience through his work at campaign headquarters. Today Miss Thompson and I are going to Washington in the late afternoon for a brief visit and you will hear from me next from there.

August 27, 1940

Washington, Monday –
We flew to Washington last night in the rain, but the trip was smooth. I found that the weather plus an important conference had brought my husband back early in the afternoon from his trip on the Potomac, so Governor and Mrs. Maybank of South Carolina, who were with him, stayed with us for dinner and the night. After dinner, we were shown some delightful movies taken of the President’s trip last February. Every time I see pictures taken of the Canal, I promise myself that before another year goes by to see that engineering marvel for myself.

The little Girl Scout from Panama, who was so pretty in her exquisitely hand-embroidered native costume, told me at the camp the other day, a good deal about her country and I was impressed by her excellent English. No one would have thought that it was not her native tongue. I wonder how soon our young people will be surprising natives of South American countries by speaking Spanish as well as the South Americans do English.

I hear most encouraging reports of the National Youth Orchestra’s trip in South America under Mr. Stokowski, and am looking forward to hearing them on their first program on their return to the United States.

We also saw a number of the latest newsreels last night and, among others, part of Ambassador Bullitt’s speech in Philadelphia. This was interesting to me, because speaking for the newsreels is something which requires a good deal of experience. I felt that in this particular one, the depth of his feelings carried his message in a way which had not been achieved by his written words. I had read it in the newspapers and had been interested, but had missed the force of conviction which went with his delivery and was very glad to hear him last night.

The President began his day this morning with an important conference at 9:00 and apparently there is not one minute during the rest of the day which will be free. I realize that, in these summer months, when he goes to the country occasionally, there is more crowded into the days which are spent in Washington, but the days in Hyde Park seem to me as busy as they can be.

I wonder if, for everyone in Congress and in the Administration, the pressure of work is so very heavy because so many different activities must be coordinated and dovetailed. Ordinarily, each person could go on with his own job regardless of what others do, but at present everything seems to bear on what is being done somewhere else. This is even truer of our relations with the rest of the world. I feel that there must be an increasing sense of burden for the leaders of Congress and the heads of the Administration.

I am now going to a meeting called by Mr. Aubrey Williams on National Youth Administration activities. Later this afternoon, Miss Thompson and I shall return to New York City.

August 28, 1940

New York, Tuesday –
The meeting with Mr. Aubrey Williams and the group of people who came together to discuss the National Youth Administration program as it now stands and how it can be improved, was most interesting. We discussed the change in the position of young people where defense is concerned, what it will mean to the program as a whole and what the whole problem of idle young people means to national defense.

I have yet to see anywhere a program or a statement which fully satisfies my own sense of what national defense really means. I have probably missed it, for somebody must have put into words what I am thinking about, namely the fact that national defense is a matter of spirit as well as of material things. I think, perhaps, spirit is the most important part of it.

We can follow Senator Byrd’s suggestion and appoint Congressional Committees to speed defense materials, but they will be no more successful than any other group has been until we realize that defense is not a matter of what you get, but of what you give.

Any government would be foolish not to take into consideration the fact that it wants to learn from the results of the last war. It does not want to place individual industrialists or business people in a position where the aftermath of expansion is ruin. There are many ways, however of meeting this problem without haggling for weeks over the period of amortization, or the amount of interest which shall be earned by money invested.

Why should people say that this bill has been retarded by tying the two things together? They logically go together. You cannot divide the boy whom you draft into two pieces. He gives all he has to give and takes a complete risk. Somehow the two things are tied up in my mind, and I think should be in the minds of all the people of the country. Yes, the spirit for defense must come first before the material things ever materialize.

In addition, it seems to me that defense is a question of national mobilization. A mobilization of all of us which gives all of us something to do, trains us so we fit, according to our capacity, into a special place. It will make us better citizens and it might conceivably make our communities better places in which to live, if we tie our training program up with the needs of every community.

Our son Jimmy joined us in Washington yesterday and came up to New York City with me last evening. Today is a fine day, and I am seeing a number of people and doing a variety of errands, dining tonight with a friend and returning to the country tomorrow evening.

August 29, 1940

New York, Wednesday –
Last evening, I spent a most interesting time talking with a group of people who are closely following world and domestic events from day to day. One man said something which seemed to me very extraordinary, and yet I have heard it said by many people. I begin to wonder if it is one of the things that come partly from our background, which has given us a sense of isolation from the world, or whether it is a thought being subtly suggested to us by people who would like to confuse our thinking.

The statement runs something like this:

There is much talk today about the need for mobilization, but I have never heard stated, to my satisfaction, what we are mobilizing against.

It seems very clear to me that we are mobilizing against a force represented by Germany, Russia, Italy and Japan, a force which believes in the domination by the state of the individual, which has, in fact, very little consideration for the individual; allows for no personal liberties or preferences; tells the individual what religion to practise and sets the state up as a religion.

This force orders the daily way of life for everyone, and when it decides to go to war, sacrifices human beings with apparent indifference. Under this system the production of human beings becomes after all a business like any other, ordered by the government, so the sacrifice of human lives is just a matter of judgment whether the objectives to be attained are worth what you have to pay for them, and you calculate as coldly about human lives as you do about other war materials.

That is the force and the system, yes, the philosophy that we are mobilizing against. From the economic and moral standpoint, he who runs may read the necessity of this mobilization. The military needs may not be quite so clear to all of us, but I have a feeling that with the background of what we have seen happen to other nations, there is one thing which every mother can think about.

The bully rarely attacks where he thinks he is going to be beaten. We women want peace, we do not wish to see our sons go to war. I believe our greatest safety lies in having our nation ready. The men must be trained to the highest efficiency, and so well-equipped with all the modern mechanisms of war that the strongest among the powers of the world will think the price too high.

There is undoubtedly need for discussion as to just what type and degree of military preparation we shall have, and how we should achieve it. But we should not let any idea get abroad that we do not understand what we are mobilizing for, and above all, it must be clear that we are ready and willing to mobilize.

August 30, 1940

Hyde Park, Thursday –
We returned from New York City yesterday in the rain and it seemed very cool and chilly. But, when I walked into my sitting room with a fire burning brightly on the hearth, the world took on a brighter aspect.

The President, Major Hooker and I had a quiet dinner. I think that Archbishop Spellman’s visit, and driving around the place, must have had a very soothing effect on my husband because he went to bed at 9:30 and his light, which often burns until late, was out by ten-fifteen.

This morning I finally discovered how many people are coming to stay with us this weekend. Since there is no housekeeper here, I have been busy having lists made for bedrooms, making out menus for meals and letting all the different people know what their various duties will be during the next few days.

Doing things up here is never quite as simple as doing them in the White House, because there Mrs. Nebsitt does all the detail work which here we have to do for ourselves. However, no matter how busy we are, I always have plenty of people to help me.

The selective draft bill which was passed by the Senate yesterday will now go to the House, which will mean further conferences and perhaps further changes. I, for one, am glad to see that some consideration is being given to a draft of industry as well as men.

The newspapers this morning report severe bombing in both London and Berlin. What this means to civilians in all countries seems increasingly appalling, particularly where children are concerned. There is no way of shielding children from the sins of their elders, but more and more I feel that we older people have created a curious world in which youngsters have to suffer for something they do not even understand.

We heard from our Norwegian guests this morning. They are rested and are motoring to stay with us for a little while. A sad change for the Princess Martha. Last year, she was here with her husband and, even though clouds hung over Europe, Norway seemed entirely secure in her neutrality. That is a thing of the past and she is back here with her children as a refugee without her husband.

Her brave words on landing yesterday should give us all a cue to our own manner of meeting any hardships which may come. She said she was sure that Hitler’s rule could never be permanent. Anyone who believes that our own philosophy is right, will echo her words.

August 31, 1940

Hyde Park, Friday –
From noontime on, yesterday proved to be a fairly busy day. Our Norwegian guests arrived in time for lunch. My three young nieces from Michigan also arrived and my cousins, Mr. and Mrs. W. Forbes Morgan, Jr., drove down from their farm near Chatham, NY, to see us.

Two people were a trifle late, Franklin Jr., with a young man who was anxious to have a talk with us. They drove up from New York City and arrived in time to swallow a little food before we all left for the county fair at Rhinebeck. 7 children and 12 grown-ups were in the party.

Most of the time we watched the horse show. A wonderful horse from Florida did tricks which pleased all the children. One of the little Princesses drew the winning number for a hamper on which chances had been sold to raise money for the Red Cross.

Then we drove through the tent to see the grange exhibitions. When we stopped before some other exhibits, a plea was brought back to me from the youngsters, who wanted to stay and enjoy some of the thrills of the county fair amusement area. I gave my permission for my nieces and the Crown Princess, and Countess Ostgaard agreed that their children could stay also. The children returned to the big house just in time for their supper, very much thrilled with the merry-go-round and the balloons and the popcorn, which I think was something the Norwegian children had not indulged in before.

Our Norwegian guests retired to bed wearied by so many out-of-door activities, and the rest of us listened to the candidate for Vice President, Mr. Wallace, speaking on the radio from Des Moines, Iowa. I do not know how many there were in his audience, but it sounded like a most appreciative crowd. I think Mr. Wallace must have been happy to have his neighbors greet him so warmly.

The day had been so full that I faced a desk that had not been touched when I finally went upstairs at eleven-fifteen. I was rather surprised suddenly to look at the clock and find that it was three a.m. when I was through working.

I breakfasted this morning at 8:30 and rode with Mr. Harry Hooker. At 11:00, Mrs. Dorothy Canfield Fisher arrived with some of the members of the jury of award for the Children’s Crusade for Children and a group of foreign and American children, accompanied by the heads of relief organizations who were to receive the checks.

Because it was drizzling, we all gathered in the big library and each American child handed a foreign child a check for the work which will be done, either in their own country or for their nationals who are refugees in other countries. Every penny donated by the American schoolchildren was given for the work to be done for these European children, for a special fund was provided for the overhead expenses of the committee.