Can we become historian and make a doctorate in history without doing history studies but only by being passionated by history and learning a lot about it?

Yes, most stupid book I ever was told to read. Complete nonsence.

5 Likes

OH… is that so? Well… there goes my money.

I shall proceed to read other prominent works and hope I don’t get swindled.

Opens up Das Kapital

3 Likes

Haha. Good luck with that. I’m not saying don’t read it but it won’t remind you of War and Peace.

4 Likes

Can you become a Historian without having a Doctorate in History? Yes. I have a full-time job as a Historian with only a bachelors degree. I don’t think Indy or Spartacus have History doctorates either. However, it definitely requires a lot of talent and effort to do so without a degree to open doors for you.

Can you become a medical doctor and a historian? Not really. Medical doctors certainly have hobbies and yours can be reading history books, watching channels like Time Ghost, and visiting historic sites. Here in the USA I don’t think there is such thing as pre-med bachelors degree so you could conceivably get a History bachelors then go to med school. However, you would be at a serious disadvantage because pre-med students are usually getting science degrees since those are actually applicable.

If you want a History degree but also a financially lucrative career then I would recommend becoming a lawyer. Pre-law bachelors also don’t exist so many law students (attorneys have Masters degrees, at least here in the USA) are history majors because the research and communication skills are very applicable to being a lawyer. You can potentially even spin that into a side job. The modern expert on Union cavalry in the American Civil War is a practically lawyer.

2 Likes