110 years ago tonight... (4-14-12)

April 27th 1865. So yes the war was basically over. 2137 people on a ship with a capacity of 376. Greed and no one held accountable.

1 Like

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 1 – April 19, 1912
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York, 10:30 a.m. ET

PRESENT: Senator William Alden Smith (chairman) and Senator Francis G. Newlands.

PRESENT ALSO: Mr. George Uhler, Supervising Inspector General, Steamboat-Inspection Service, Department of Commerce and Labor; Mr. J. Bruce Ismay, general manager of the International Mercantile Marine Co.; Charles C. Burlingham, Esq., and J. Parker Kirlin, Esq.; representing the White Star Line; Emerson E. Parvin, Esq., secretary International Mercantile Marine Co.; Guglielmo Marconi, president of the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Co.; Hon. John W. Griggs, representing the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Co.; and others.

Senator SMITH.
For the purpose of executing the command and direction of the Senate of the United States, the inquiry in which we contemplate will now begin. The resolution is as follows:

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES,
April 17, 1912

Resolved, That the Committee on Commerce, or a subcommittee thereof, is hereby authorized and directed to investigate the causes leading to the wreck of the White Star liner Titanic, with its attendant loss of life so shocking to the civilized world.

Resolved further, That said committee or a subcommittee thereof is hereby empowered to summon witnesses, send for persons and papers, to administer oaths, and to take such testimony as may be necessary to determine the responsibility therefor, with a view to such legislation as may be necessary to prevent, as far as possible, any repetition of such a disaster.

Resolved further, That the committee shall inquire particularly into the number of lifeboats, rafts, and life preservers, and other equipment for the protection of the passengers and crew; the number of persons aboard the Titanic, whether passenger or crew, and whether adequate inspections were made of such vessel, in view of the large number of American passengers travelling over a route commonly regarded as dangerous from icebergs; and whether it is feasible for Congress to take steps looking to an international agreement to secure the protection of sea traffic, including regulation of the size of ships and designation of routes.

Resolved further, That in the report of said committee it shall recommend such legislation as it shall deem expedient; and the expenses incurred by this investigation shall be paid from the contingent fund of the Senate upon vouchers to be approved by the chairman of said committee.

Attest: CHARLES C. BENNETT,
Secretary.
By: H. M. ROSE,
Assistant Secretary.

I will ask Mr. J. Bruce Ismay to come forward and take the stand.

Testimony of Joseph Bruce Ismay (Managing Director, I.M.M. (White Star Line); First Class Passenger, Titanic)

Testimony of Arthur H. Rostron (Captain, Carpathia)

Senator SMITH.
After the recess I should like to have Mr. Marconi appear before us for a few minutes.

Mr. MARCONI.
I shall be very glad to do so, Senator.

Senator SMITH.
And the operator.

Mr. GRIGGS.
He will be here by 3 o’clock, Senator.

Senator SMITH.
That is, the operator from the Carpathia Harold Cottam. Also the operator from the Titanic Harold Bride.

Mr. GRIGGS.
He is not able to come. I am afraid the committee will have to go to him.

Mr. ROSTRON.
Both his ankles and back are injured, although the last two days he was carried up in the Marconi operating room of the Carpathia to assist our operator all he could.

Mr. J. A. HUGHES.
Mr. Chairman, I want to make a brief statement. A statement has been made in the press with reference to myself, concerning which I wish to say to this:

I received this telegram:

HUNTINGTON, W. VA.

JAMES A. HUGHES;
You are quoted in press reports declaring, following Mrs. Smith’s story, that Ismay should be lynched. Please wire us, day press rate collect, 500 words, your view of Titanic disaster.

THE ADVERTISER.

To that I have sent this in reply:

HUNTINGTON ADVERTISER,
Huntington, W. Va., Press reports untrue. My daughter said nothing that would bring any such statement from me. I may have said, if investigation showed neglect of any officer, no punishment was too severe for him. Ismay was somewhat criticized by some for being among the men who were rescued. My daughter had no criticism of him. The press report will give full information as to details, Ismay gave what Senate committee considered a fair statement before the committee. He is subject to further call from the Senate committee. Captain of the Carpathia before the Senate committee testifying now. My daughter states all possible aid was given them by the captain on Carpathia and officers of the Carpathia.

Senator SMITH.
We will take a recess until 3 o’clock this afternoon.

Whereupon at 1.20 o’clock p.m., a recess was taken until 3 o’clock p.m.

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York, 3:00 p.m. ET

Senator SMITH.
The inquiry will now be resumed. I wish to ask Mr. Marconi a few questions.

Testimony of Guglielmo Marconi

Testimony of Charles Herbert Lightoller

Senator SMITH.
We shall hold an evening session, beginning at half-past 8 o’clock.

Whereupon, at 7.20 o’clock p.m., a recess was taken until 8.30 p.m.

The Pittsburgh Press (April 19, 1912)

Tale of Titanic tragedy told – Ismay on rack

By Wayne Maxwell

New York –
The Titanic catastrophe climaxed today. The horror tales told by some of the 745 survivors of the most horrible sea tragedy of history surpass conception or ability to record. The salient facts which peak the awful disaster follow:

Of the ship’s company on the Titanic at midnight, Sunday, when she collided with an iceberg, and was split in twain, sinking off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland, numbering 2,340, only 745 were saved. The survivors consist of 535 passengers and 210 of the crew.

When the seat giantess received her frigid death blow slight panic seized upon her assemblage. Armed officers of the White Star Line quietly quelled the incipient disorder and the extent of the damage done to the ship rapidly ascertained. It was found that the Titanic was in a sinking condition.

The first law of the sea, “Women first,” was called into play. Lifeboats, barely enough to care for half of the vessel’s human cargo, were uncovered and swung clear of the side. These were rapidly filled with women and children and sent in coveys from the sinking liner.

The lights on the big ship were extinguished shortly after she rammed the berg, as the water reached the engine rooms and a terrific explosion of the entire battery of the Titanic boilers rent the interior of the vessel.

Sixteen lifeboats grinding and crashing between heavy ice floes were rowed about in circles until dawn broke. These boats, some half-filled with freezing water, carried thinly-clad women, cold and hungry children and a few men.

The Carpathia, eastbound, Cunard liner, picked up the survivors at dawn Monday and hove to for salvage work. There was none to do. The sea had swallowed up its human meal and taken its greatest ship to its bottom.

The progress of the rescue vessel was marked by death and deep gloom. Six unfortunates died as the ship raced over the few hundred miles between the disaster scene and home. Sickness struck the ransomed sea travelers. It seemed as if the clammy hand of Grim Death still pursued the sea in high dudgeon.

The dead, wrapped in the Stars and Stripes, were sent over the side at one of the most heartrending sea burials ever recorded. Twenty-six widows, most of them brides, attended the marine requiem. Ambrose lightship was sighted late Tuesday and the Carpathia, her engines breaking her trial speed record, bore down on New York Harbor late Wednesday.

The vessel reached the New York Cunard Line pier No. 26, at 9 o’clock last night.

The reception of the tragic band of rescued at the Cunard piers was marked by more poignant grief scenes. Relatives seeking news of their beloved ones turned grief-stricken faces toward the gang planks of the docking liner to be bitterly disappointed when the half-crazed delivered ones thronged down the ship’s walk.

Others found their hopes of life for their dear ones realized and fell sobbing into each other’s arms.

Today the little group of succored ones are distributed over the country. “Home” was the magic word their lips framed as soon as their feet touched the soil of Manhattan. Special trains bore the Quaker City rescued to their native city. New York hotels sheltered those too ill to travel. Others, who believed that even at this late hour all hope was not lost for at least the recovery of the bodies of some of the Titanic’s dead, also remained at the nation’s chief city.

The Carpathia, a veritable hospital ship, lay today with bunkers noisily receiving coal for her early departure on a cruise of the Mediterranean. In homes, throughout Manhattan hotels, sailors’ missions and waterfront gathering places was discussed the sea tragedy of the ages. The tale in all its awfulness will never be told. The narrative beggars competent description. No man can pen the story save a genius blind to sentiment. For sentiment prevents its cold-blooded telling.

1 Like

Lost when the Titanic went to bottom

First class 120
Second class 195
Third class 550
Officers and crew 730
Died when Carpathia on way to New York 6
TOTAL 1,601

Saved when Titanic went to bottom

First class 210
Second class 125
Third class 225
Officers and crew 201
TOTAL 761

Of the members of the crew saved, 4 were officers, 30 seamen, 96 stewards, and 71 firemen.

1 Like

Rescue ship completes work of human salvage

Death even pursued Cunard liner Carpathia, whose grim task is now completed – already preparing to sail on Mediterranean cruise
By the United Press

New York –
Grim, mystic silence shrouded the Carpathia, ambulance of the sea as she lay at her dock, her work of rescue done.

Where last night women, insane with horror voiced their anguish in hideous shrieks, today soft-footed sailormen calmly prepared the Carpathia for her interrupted Mediterranean tour on which she will start again this afternoon.

Where last night the sobbing of strong men sounded through the darkness as they tenderly cared for the pitiful few Titanic survivors, today burly stevedores hustled bales and barrels, to fill the holds emptied when the ships rescue trip interrupted her voyage.

Passengers, captain and crew of the Carpathia, relieved of their burden of rescue, slept late today. All were worn and weary by five days of caring for terror-demented men and women which reached the climax in the task of getting the stricken survivors ashore.

It was well into this morning before the last of the more than 700 Titanic survivors left the Carpathia. They were the steerage passengers, and cared for by charitable organizations they were taken to the City Lodging House.

The Cunard Line was extremely anxious to get the Carpathia underway again as soon as possible, and although orders had been issued by the government officials to allow no one on the pier, a score of huge drays, loaded with supplies awaited at the gates, shortly after dawn. Capt. Rostron, after a conference with the officials of the line had decided that he could have his ship prepared to sail again at 4 o’clock this afternoon, and every effort was made to assist him.

To this end, all of the survivors, even those seriously injured or ill, were taken off before the pier closed for the night. No one but the passengers and crew of the Carpathia remained aboard.

When the pier opened all on board the rescue ship organized buying parties to replace the wardrobes of passengers and crew who had stripped themselves to clothe the almost-naked survivors picked up in the icy seas.

The landing of the Carpathia, last scene of one of the world’s greatest tragedies, followed no playwright’s rules in the staging of its drama of broken hearts.

A little group of people – perhaps 300, possibly 400, was drawn up around the canopied gangplank. Up and down the huge Cunard pier were other hundreds of men and women, standing silent, or conversing on indifferent things.

A little, florid man, chewing a cigar nervously, stood behind the line of custom house officers that had formed to give room for the survivors to pass the crowd.

He was saying:

I have five on board. I don’t know if they’re all alive – I can’t tell. They’ve taken them names off the lists and put them on again.

The chugging of a tugboat sounded from out in the North River.

The little florid man went white. He said, “My God!” It was the only exclamation from that straining group.

The churning of the tug was now clearly audible. Only the foot or two of space on each side of the canopy gave room to see outside the covered pier, a long brown spar protruded across these openings.

Then a mast moved silently by. Then the white bow of the Cunarder glided past.

A woman who had stood waiting motionless for three long hours half-shrieked:

They’re smoking!

Solid rows of faces could be seen moving past the opening as the Carpathia was warped into her berth. In the outer darkness, no one countenance was distinctly visible. Other lighted cigars glowed in the mass of humanity on the boat.

A man began, “I guess there are lots of them still able to smoke,” and then stopped. As though in apology, he added after a moment, “My sister was drowned.”

At last, the gangplank was swung aboard.

Dr. Henry W. Frauenthal, distinguished New York surgeon, was the first survivor of the Titanic to step ashore, his red beard was neatly combed, his shoes, his coat, his hat, all bespoke careful attention. He nodded, smiling, to right and left and strolled with his young bride beside him, toward the exit. He might have been alighting from a ferryboat after a day in Jersey City.

After him came a young woman. Her hair was loosened; her face was flushed and her eyes were swollen with weeping. She wore odds and ends of clothing picked up from among the Carpathia’s passengers. She walked straight into the midst of the crowd. Then she stopped. Her hands went out before her, the fingers clutching at the air, the cords in her wrists standing out like strings on a violin.

Without a sob, she staggered forward into the arms of an elderly woman who stood quietly waiting.

By now, the passengers were coming off in streams. Few of them wore their proper clothing.

One after another, they fell into the arms of relatives, sweethearts, husbands and wives, in that same wordless passion of thanksgiving for safety and grief for those who were gone.

The pier had been carefully arranged in alphabetically designated sections, where friends might await the pitiful procession. Small regard was paid to these. Customs officers tenderly thrust before them couples, groups of reunited dear ones who stood in the path, arms locked about necks, sobbing dry sobs of joy and woe.

Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York, 8:30 p.m. ET

The subcommittee met, pursuant to adjournment, at 8:30 o’clock p.m., Senator William Alden Smith (chairman) presiding.

Testimony of Harold Thomas Cottam

Testimony of Alfred Crawford

Whereupon, at 10:30 o’clock p.m., the committee adjourned to meet at 10 o’clock a.m., Saturday, April 20, 1912, at the Waldorf-Astoria, New York City.

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 2 – April 20, 1912
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York, 10:50 a.m. ET

The subcommittee met at 10.50 o’clock a.m., at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City.

PRESENT: Senator William Alden Smith (chairman), and Senator Newlands.

PRESENT ALSO: Mr. George Uhler, Supervising Inspector-General, Steamboat Inspection Service, Department of Commerce and Labor; Mr. J. Bruce Ismay, General Manager of the International Mercantile Marine Co.; Charles C. Burlingham, Esq., and J. Parker Kirlin, Esq., representing the White Star Line; Emerson E. Parvin, Esq., secretary, International Mercantile Marine Co.; Guglielmo Marconi, President of the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Co., and others.

Senator SMITH.
Gentlemen, I am very sorry to have delayed beginning the hearing beyond the hour set this morning, but a conference between my colleagues and myself made it necessary. I am going to proceed this morning by asking Mr. Cottam, the Marconi operator on the Carpathia to take the witness chair again.

Testimony of Harold Thomas Cottam (Marconi Operator, Carpathia)

Testimony of Harold Sydney Bride (Marconi Operator, Titanic)

Testimony of Harold Thomas Cottam (recalled)

Testimony of Harold Sydney Bride (recalled)

Senator SMITH.
We will take a recess until 3 o’clock.

At 1.45 o’clock p.m., the committee took a recess until 3 p.m.

1 Like

At the expiration of the recess the hearing was resumed.

Senator SMITH.
Is Mr. Bride, the Marconi operator of the Titanic present?

Mr. MARCONI.
No, sir.

Senator SMITH.
Where has he gone?

Mr. MARCONI.
He has gone to some house uptown, where he is going to be looked after, sir.

Senator SMITH.
Has he gone to some hospital?

Mr. SAMMIS.
No, Senator, he has gone to the house of some relative of his. I heard you tell him that you were not going to question him anymore today, so I sent him along.

Senator SMITH.
I should like to ask him a few additional questions this afternoon, but it will be impossible if he is not here.

Mr. SAMMIS.
I am sorry Senator. We understood, from what you said, that you had finished with him for today.

Senator SMITH.
In view of his physical condition, I think his further examination may not be postponed.

Mr. SAMMIS.
You remember saying, Senator, that you would not question him anymore today.

Senator SMITH.
Yes, I do. I do not hold you responsible at all for his not coming here now.

Mr. MARCONI.
We thought you had finished with him for today.

Senator SMITH.
That is all right. There is no responsibility on you at all. I merely thought that if he was here I should like to ask him a question. The other operator is here?

Mr. SAMMIS.
Yes, sir; and he will remain here if you wish him.

Senator SMITH.
Is the second officer of the Titanic here?

Mr. BUCKINGHAM.
He is not in the room, Senator. He is out around the hotel, somewhere, sir. You mean Lightoller?

Senator SMITH.
Yes.

Mr. BUCKINGHAM.
Mr. Lightoller is not present, we find, but he will be back soon.

Senator SMITH.
I wanted to ask Mr. Lightoller if the ship’s log was saved.

Mr. BUCKINGHAM.
Any of the other officers can tell you just as well about that. Mr. Pitman is here, for instance.

Senator SMITH.
Very well.

Mr. Pitman, I will swear you as a witness, for a moment, just for the sake of completing our record.

Testimony of Herbert John Pitman, Third Officer, Titanic

Senator SMITH.
I will make a brief announcement for the official reporter and for the press:

That, after conference with my colleagues of the committee, we have concluded to subpoena Mr. J. Bruce Ismay, Mr. P. A. S. Franklin, Mr. Harold Bride, Mr. H. T. Cottam, Mr. C. L. Lightoller, second officer; Mr. H. J. Pitman, third officer; Mr. J. G. Boxhall, fourth officer; Mr. H. G. Lowe, fifth officer; and others; they being the only surviving officers of the Titanic; also others of the crew.

We have also subpoenaed W. Perkis, E. Archer, W. H. Taylor, W. Brice, E. J. Buley, S. S. Hemming, F. O. Evans, T. Jones, Frank Osman, G. Moore, A. Cunningham, A. Olliver, F. Fleet, G. A. Hogg, A. Crawford, W. Burke, Edward Wheelton, F. Clench, Fred D. Ray, G. F. Crowe, C. E. Andrews, J. Widgery, H. S. Etches, G. T. Rowe, John Collins, A. J. Bright, G. Symons, J. Hardy, and Albert Haines, of the ship’s crew.

All of these witnesses have been summoned to appear in Washington on Monday morning at 10 o’clock, and at that time this investigation will be resumed and no further testimony will be taken at this hearing.

I have been asked to make a public statement. Before doing so I request that no representative of the press or other person shall ask any question of me before beginning or during my statement or after I have finished. What I say I desire reported accurately, and I wish the public to know that this statement is the only official utterance I shall make before resuming our inquiry in Washington.

The object of this committee in coming to New York coincident with the arrival of the Carpathia was prompted by the desire to avail ourselves of first-hand information from the active participants in this sad affair. Our course has been guided solely by this purpose - to obtain accurate information without delay.

Information had been received that some of the officers of the Titanic, and the managing director of the White Star Line, who are British subjects, residing in England, desired and intended to return to their homes immediately upon arrival at this port. We concluded that it would be most unfortunate if we were deprived of their testimony for any indefinite period, and felt that their removal beyond the jurisdiction of our authority might complicate and possibly defeat our purpose.

We went directly to the Carpathia upon her arrival, were received courteously by the captain and officers of that ship, and were accorded with a prompt interview with the managing director and vice president of the White Star Line.

We requested the attendance of these officers, the other surviving officers, and that the crew might be held subject to our orders. We satisfied ourselves that the promises of Mr. Ismay and Mr. Franklin could be relied upon, felt assured of their presence at the hearing Friday morning, and did not feel called upon to use more drastic means to accomplish that result.

Mr. Ismay intended to return to England forthwith, but at our request has remained here, as have the other officers and members of the crew.

It was found necessary to take the testimony of Capt. Rostron, of the Carpathia, immediately, in order that he might not be further inconvenienced in his departure with his ship, destined for the Mediterranean, after his most creditable conduct in a most trying emergency, worthy of the highest praise. We felt that it would not be an evidence of our appreciation of his gallantry, thoughtfulness, and efficiency to detain him and his ship and passengers longer after he had brought the survivors of the Titanic voluntarily to this port.

The survivors of the Titanic and their friends throughout the world are under a debt of gratitude to Capt. Rostron which can never be repaid. His promptness in responding to the call of distress resulted in a large saving of life which, but for him, would have been impossible; and, voicing the sentiments of my countrymen, I thank him in their name and in the name of the Government of the United States for his unselfish and noble contribution to the cause of humanity.

We examined the second officer of the Titanic, Mr. Lightoller, because he was in command during the hours immediately preceding the collision, and we thought it wise to take his testimony immediately.

Mr. Bride is a telegrapher on the Titanic, who survived, had been injured and was unable to be conveniently moved from New York, and, as the testimony of the wireless operator of the Carpathia was so intimately related to the testimony of the surviving operator of the Titanic, we concluded to take the testimony of both forthwith; and in order that we might, beyond peradventure, have the statement of Mr. Ismay officially upon our records, we decided to take his testimony immediately.

At the completion of the examination all the witnesses were notified of the fact that we had not finished with them, and were requested to remain subject to the orders of the committee.

After conference with my associates, we concluded to exercise our authority and formally subpoena all of the surviving officers of the Titanic, including those just mentioned and others not sworn, together with about 30 members of the ship’s crew. This has been done, and further testimony for the present will be taken at Washington, where all the members of the subcommittee can be present.

In summoning the surviving passengers, many of whom were weak and greatly distressed, some quite ill and others injured, we have thought it wise to proceed with care and consideration for their physical and mental condition. Many of them have already been subpoenaed, but returns have not yet been made, and I am unable to give the names of those subpoenaed to the press today.

In closing this statement I desire to acknowledge our debt of gratitude to the representatives of the press for their marked consideration and courtesy in this most trying situation, and wish to assure them that everything that has transpired of public interest has been entirely in their presence, and that this course will be pursued, so far as I am concerned, in the future hearings before the committee.

Whereupon, at 3.30 o’clock p.m., the subcommittee adjourned, to meet in Washington at 10.30 o’clock a.m., Monday, April 22, 1912.

1 Like

Look how fast that happened. Less than 2 weeks before the ship was still afloat.

1 Like

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 3 – April 22, 1912
Washington, DC, 10:30 a.m. ET

The subcommittee met at 10.30 o’clock a.m., pursuant to adjournment.

PRESENT: Senators William Alden Smith (chairman), Perkins, Burton, Bourne, Simmons, Newlands, and Fletcher.

Senator SMITH.
For my associates and myself I desire to make an announcement:

The inquiry we are making is in obedience to a direction by the Senate, and is for the purpose of ascertaining certain important facts connected with the unfortunate loss of the Titanic. We are not at all concerned about the convenience of visitors upon the hearing. We are concerned primarily in obtaining the truth, and I desire each person here to understand that they are here solely by the courtesy of the committee; that the inquiry is not for their entertainment, and that any expressions of any kind or character will not be permitted.

Any violation of this injunction will force the committee to conduct its inquiries in such a manner as to avoid such a situation.

In view of the importance of the investigation, I bespeak for the witnesses that courtesy and kindness that is their proper due.

As to whether these hearings can be conducted in this general, open session, we are not fully determined; but having no disposition to carry them on secretly, with the desire that each step shall be known by the public, this course has been adopted this morning, as it was pursued in New York.

Testimony of Philip A. S. Franklin (Vice President, International Mercantile Marine Co.)

Senator SMITH.
I will ask you to hold yourself in readiness to resume the stand after the recess, Mr. Franklin: We will now take a recess until 3 o’clock.

Whereupon, at 1.30 o’clock p.m., a recess was taken until 3 o’clock p.m.

The committee met, pursuant to the taking of recess, at 3.15 o’clock p.m., William Alden Smith (chairman) presiding.

The CHAIRMAN.
Mr. Franklin, will you kindly resume the stand?

Testimony of Philip A. S. Franklin (recalled)

Testimony of Joseph Groves Boxhall (Fourth Officer, SS Titanic)

At 6.20 p.m. the subcommittee adjourned until tomorrow, Tuesday, April 23, 1912, at 10 o’clock a.m.

The crew upon identifying flooding closed all of the compartment watertight doors. We can relate to this action because it’s what a modern ship and in my case, a submarine would do. Unfortunately, the design was deficient in that the bulkheads did not rise up to the floor above. Therefore, when flooding occurred, the water filled the first compartment and subsequently filled the second, third, etc compartments and rendering the drain pump in the aft compartment useless as it rose above the waterline. The ship could have remained afloat much longer if all of the watertight doors were opened allowing the water to fill all compartments simultaneously. The ship would have been able to remain level and the drain pump could be used to pump water overboard. I do not know how long the ship could have lasted in this configuration, but I wonder if that option was discussed or considered.

3 Likes

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 4 – April 23, 1912
Washington, DC, 10 a.m. ET

The subcommittee met at 10 o’clock a.m.

PRESENT: Senators William Alden Smith (chairman), Perkins, Burton, Newlands, and Fletcher.

Senator SMITH.
When we closed the hearing yesterday afternoon Mr. Boxhall, the third officer of the Titanic, was on the stand. It had been the intention of the committee to recall him this morning and the reason for not doing so is the following note:

APRIL 23, 1912.

This is to certify that Mr. J. B. Boxhall, third officer of the Titanic, is under my professional care and treatment and that, in my opinion, he is physically unable to appear before the Senate investigating committee today.

CHARLES C. MARBURY, M.D.

Testimony of Herbert John Pitman (Third Officer, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Frederick Fleet (Lookout, SS Titanic)

We will take a recess at this time until half-past 3.

Thereupon, at 2.25 p.m., the committee took a recess until 3.30 p.m.

The subcommittee reconvened at 3.55 o’clock p.m., Senator William Alden Smith (chairman), presiding.

Senator SMITH.
Mr. Fleet, I will not have you resume the stand immediately. I want to put Maj. Peuchen on.

Testimony of Arthur G. Peuchen (First Class Passenger, SS Titanic)

With the committee’s consent, we will take a recess until 10 o’clock tomorrow morning.

Mr. Fleet, you will be excused until 10 o’clock tomorrow.

At 5.40 o’clock p.m. the subcommittee adjourned until tomorrow, Wednesday, April 24, 1912, at 10 o’clock a.m.

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 5 – April 24, 1912
Washington, DC, 10 a.m. ET

The subcommittee met at 10 o’clock a.m.

PRESENT: Senators Smith (chairman), Perkins, Burton, Fletcher, and Newlands.

Testimony of Frederick Fleet (recalled)

Senator SMITH.
I desire to make an announcement. First, I want to meet the inquiry, so often heard, as to our purpose in this inquiry, and I want to say that it is to get all of the facts bearing upon this unfortunate catastrophe that we are able to obtain. It is, of course, very apparent that the surviving officers of the Titanic are not shipbuilders having had to do with the construction of that vessel, and the committee have assumed that if these witnesses should tell what they themselves know of the circumstances surrounding the ship up to the time of the collision, and what transpired thereafter, this information would be about all that we could obtain from these witnesses.

One word as to the plan. It has been our plan from the beginning to first obtain the testimony of citizens or subjects of Great Britain who are temporarily in this country, and this course will be pursued until the committee conclude that they have obtained all information accessible and useful to a proper understanding of this disaster.

Now one word about the difficulties. To the credit of most of the officers and crew we have experienced no very troublesome difficulty in securing such witnesses as we felt were necessary. But from the beginning until now there has been a voluntary, gratuitous, meddlesome attempt upon the part of certain persons to influence the course of the committee and to shape its procedure.

Misrepresentations have been made, I have heard. Personally, I have not seen a single newspaper since I was appointed chairman of this committee, because I did not wish to be influenced by those papers or unduly encouraged. Neither did I wish to take on any partisan bias or prejudice whatsoever.

The representatives of the press have all cooperated in every way possible to lighten the burdens of the committee and to assist in obtaining the results we seek.

The committee will not tolerate any further attempt on the part of anyone to shape its course. We shall proceed in our own way, completing the official record, and the judgment of our efforts may very appropriately be withheld until those who are disposed to question its wisdom have the actual official reports.

Senator SMITH.
I would like to call Mr. Lowe, the fifth officer.

Testimony of Harold Godfrey Lowe (Fifth Officer, SS Titanic)

Senator PERKINS.
I suggest that these papers be put in the record. This is a list of the survivors (indicating) and this other paper is the memorandum made by Mr. Pitman in regard to the ship’s run.

The CHAIRMAN.
They may be included as part of the record.

Memorandum (Passengers carried and saved)

First class passengers who sailed on Titanic.

Women … 143
Men … 177
Boys … 5
Total … 325

First class passenger survivors.

Women … 131
Men … 68
Boys … 3
Total … 202

Second class passengers who sailed on Titanic.

Men … 157
Women and Children … 128
Total … 285

Second class passenger survivors.

Men … 12
Women and Children … 106
Total … 118

Third class passengers according to sex who embarked on the Titanic.

Male Female
Southampton 366 129
Cherbourg 67 38
Queenstown 53 57
Total 486 224

Number of survivors according to sex.

Male … 85
Female … 93

Memorandum (Ship’s run)

Thereupon, at 2.30 o’clock p.m., the committee took a recess until 3.30 o’clock p.m.

The subcommittee met, pursuant to the taking of recess, at 3.45 o’clock p.m.

Testimony of Charles Herbert Lightoller (Second Officer, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Robert Hichens (Quartermaster, SS Titanic)

The hearing will stand adjourned until 10 o’clock tomorrow morning.

Thereupon, at 8 o’clock and 20 minutes p.m., the subcommittee adjourned until tomorrow, Thursday, April 25, 1912, at 10 o’clock a.m.

Additional Statement of Robert Hichens

After leaving the witness stand, at his request, and while still under oath, Mr. Robert Hichens, wheelman on board the Titanic who appeared before the committee Wednesday, April 24, made the following statement to Senator Smith:

Mr. Hichens:
At 9.45 o’clock p.m., Sunday, the ship was traveling at that rate and going full speed when the log was taken at 10 o’clock.

7360. You mean by full speed, 22½ miles per hour.
Yes, sir.

7361. Do you know whether she was running as fast as she could run?
I do not know, sir.

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 6 – April 25, 1912
Washington, DC, 10:15 a.m. ET

The subcommittee met at 10.15 o’clock a.m.

PRESENT: Senators Smith (chairman), Burton, Perkins, and Fletcher.

Senator SMITH.
I would like to know if Mr. Boxhall, the fourth officer of the Titanic is present?

Mr. CORNELIUS.
He is not here, sir. He is in bed.

Senator SMITH.
I want to know, officially, that he is. Can you give any announcement as to Mr. Boxhall, Mr. Burlingham?

Mr. BURLINGHAM.
Mr. Lightoller says that he is still sick in bed, Mr. Chairman.

Senator SMITH.
And unable to be present this morning?

Mr. BURLINGHAM.
He can not be here today. We hope he will be able to come tomorrow or the next day, at the latest.

Senator SMITH.
Officer Lightoller, you know of the illness of Mr. Boxhall?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
Yes, sir.

Senator SMITH.
Your fellow officer?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
Yes, sir.

Senator SMITH.
You have seen him this morning?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
Yes, sir.

Senator SMITH.
And you say he is unable to respond to the call of the committee this morning?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
As far as I know from the doctor; yes, sir.

Senator SMITH.
That is all.

I should like to have Mr. Marconi take the stand.

Testimony of Guglielmo Marconi (recalled)

Testimony of Harold Thomas Cottam (recalled)

We will take a recess until 3.30 o’clock.

Thereupon, at 2.10 o’clock p.m., the committee took recess until 3.30 o’clock p.m.

The subcommittee met, pursuant to the taking of the adjournment, at 3.30 o’clock p.m., Senator William Alden Smith (chairman) presiding.

Testimony of Guglielmo Marconi (resumed)

Senator SMITH.
I would like to ask the sergeant at arms if the witness Luis Klein, who was subpoenaed and brought here by the marshal’s office of Cleveland is here; and tell him, if he is here, we are ready to use him.

Mr. CORNELIUS.
He is not here, Senator.

Senator SMITH.
Where is he?

Mr. CORNELIUS.
He left his hotel yesterday morning. We do not know where he is. We have been unable to locate him.

Senator SMITH.
Have you made every endeavor to locate him?

Mr. CORNELIUS.
Through our officers here; yes, sir - through the marshal’s office here.

Senator SMITH.
Through the marshal’s office of the District of Columbia.

Mr. CORNELIUS.
Yes, sir.

Senator SMITH.
But you have not been able to do so?

Mr. CORNELIUS.
No, sir.

Senator SMITH.
Are you continuing your efforts?

Mr. CORNELIUS.
Yes, sir.

Senator SMITH.
You may continue your efforts to find him, and if you can find him, it is the wish of the committee that you should do so.

I desire to say that some rumors have reached the committee that there is friction and lack of harmony among the members of the subcommittee, and I have the concurrence of all my associates in saying that that statement is absolutely untrue. No foundation whatever exists for it. We are all proceeding together in our own way to get at the results for which we have been convened, and while the absence of some of my colleagues from some of the hearings might have been noticed, I want the record to show that they have been performing a public duty in the Committee on Commerce, which is now finally acting upon a very important bill over which that committee has jurisdiction, and their absence must not be noted as due to the slightest indisposition upon their part to take active and constant part in these proceedings.

I desire to say further, that after full conference we have determined to hear the members of the crew of the Titanic who have been summoned, aside from the officers who have already been sworn, and that it has been thought necessary, because of the large number of these men, to proceed with the hearing this afternoon without the attendance of the public, each member of the subcommittee examining his proposition or quota of these men. That does not mean the men will not be examined here. It means only that we must simplify that branch of the work, and my associates feel that it can be done more expeditiously and with equal certainty if this course is taken, with that announcement the subcommittee will take a recess until tomorrow morning at 10 o’clock.

Thereupon, at 4 o’clock p.m., the subcommittee adjourned until tomorrow, Friday, April 26, 1912, at 10 o’clock a.m.

U.S. Senate Inquiry
Day 7 – April 25, 1912
Washington, DC, 4:15 p.m. ET

­TIP NOTE: The seventh day of testimony was actually taken the evening of the sixth day. Five of the Senators sat separately and heard testimony from 24 witnesses. The original Inquiry copy listed this testimony as the seventh day.

After the adjournment of the subcommittee at 4.15 o’clock p.m. on this day, the following testimony was taken before Senators Smith, Burton, Perkins, Fletcher, and Bourne, each sitting separately and apart from the others.

TESTIMONY TAKEN BEFORE SENATOR BURTON.

### Testimony of George Thomas Rowe (Quartermaster, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Alfred Olliver (Quartermaster, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Frank Osman (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

Thereupon, at 6.15 o’clock p.m., the testimony before Senator Burton was concluded.

TESTIMONY TAKEN BEFORE SENATOR NEWLANDS.

Testimony of Edward Wheelton (Saloon Steward, SS Titanic)

Testimony of William Henry Taylor (Fireman, SS Titanic)

Testimony of George Moore (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Thomas Jones (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

TESTIMONY TAKEN BEFORE SENATOR PERKINS.

The taking of testimony before Senator Perkins was begun at 5.30 o’clock p. m. )

Testimony of George Symons (Lookout, SS Titanic)

Testimony of George A. Hogg (Lookout, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Walter John Perkis (Quartermaster, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Hogg, Perkis, and Symons (questioned further as a group)

Whereupon, at 6 o’clock p.m., the taking of testimony before Senator Perkins was concluded.

TESTIMONY TAKEN BEFORE SENATOR FLETCHER.

Testimony of John Hardy (Chief Second-Class Steward, SS Titanic)

Testimony of William Ward (Saloon Steward, SS Titanic)

Testimony of James Widgery (Bath Steward, SS Titanic)

Thereupon Messrs. Hardy, Ward, and Widgery withdrew from the room.

Testimony of Edward John Buley (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

Thereupon, at 6.15 o’clock p.m., the hearing before Senator Fletcher was closed.

TESTIMONY TAKEN BEFORE SENATOR BOURNE.

The taking of testimony before Senator Bourne was begun at 4.30 o’clock p.m.

Testimony of George Frederick Crowe (Saloon Steward, SS Titanic)

Testimony of C. E Andrews (Assistant Steward, SS Titanic)

Testimony of John Collins (Assistant Cook, First-Class Galley, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Frederick Clench (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Ernest Archer (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Walter T. Brice (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

At 7.45 o’clock p.m. the taking of testimony before Senator Bourne was adjourned.

TESTIMONY TAKEN BEFORE SENATOR SMITH.

Testimony of Albert Haines (Boatswain’s Mate, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Samuel S. Hemming (Lamp Trimmer, SS Titanic)

Testimony of Frank Oliver Evans (Able Seaman, SS Titanic)

At 11.45 o’clock p.m. the taking of testimony before Senator Smith was adjourned.