Searching for research volunteers

I would love to volunteer for this! I have the time to do it and am aware of what needs to be done.

In the next year I am going to start arthistory at the open university, part time, and for the rest I am looking for volunteer work like this to keep my mind busy. I really love TimeGhost and all you guys do, to help out would make me very happy indeed!

4 Likes

I have something that may be useful when you get to Dec. 7, '41. It illustrates the attitude of big-gun club admirals (of all navies) and the resistance to change of hierarchical organizations.

A photo and the following caption appeared in the 1941 Army/Navy football program,
page 181, on November 29, 1941, just nine days before the attack on Pearl Harbor:
“A bow on view of the U. S. S. Arizona as she plows into a huge swell. It is significant that
despite the claims of air enthusiasts no battleship has yet been sunk by bombs.”

Army-Navy Game football program dtd 29 November 1941, p. 181. Records of the
U.S. Naval Academy Archives.

3 Likes

That’ll age like milk…

1 Like

I would love to help in any way I can. I know a significant amount about the Second Sino Japanese war and the war in the east and would be happy to contribute in any way I can

2 Likes

Just sent you an email!!

1 Like

I haven’t had significant historical research experience, so I can’t be much help there, but I noticed the instagram you guys made is, well, pretty dead. I’ve got a good deal of journalism experience, which has given me some nifty research instincts, and I minored in history in college and had some experience with histiography. If you folks had any interest, I’d be willing to boot this back up, perhaps a daily post of the front page of some English language newspapers? Archives aren’t hard to find. I’ve been looking into the legality of it (dont wanna get sued by the times) and there’s ways to do it, esp with defunct papers.

btw, you guys might be familiar with it, but life magazine’s entire collection has been uploaded online, including through the war years. it’s a pretty incredible time capsule imo, especially the commentary from the columnists (check out the doom and gloom after the fall of france, predictions of nazi bombers over new york)

1 Like

Currently going through the Oct. 27 issue of LIFE magazine: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m kinda already doing that through the Pittsburgh Press (a paper defunct since 1992) and a few other papers. See most of my posts? Not on Instagram, but on this forum.