Searching for research volunteers

Hey all,

A few weeks ago we have decided that we want to start increasing our World War Two video output to get on the level that resembles the video output of the Great War before Indy left. We feel like we have to start doing this now because certain Bio’s/Specials will only remain relevant for so long, and we don’t want (you) to miss out. Because we don’t have the resources to research everything ourselves, I want to ask your help with doing research.

This is a rough breakdown of what we’d like to produce in addition to the weekly episodes:

• 1 WaH episode
  • 1 new format video (still a surprise)
  • 2 OOTF episodes
  • 2 Biography Specials
  • 2 General Special episodes.

We’re going to need help for the last two categories. We are looking for people with significant experience in academic (historical) research and who are able to write in English. Please respond here or send an email to community@timeghost.tv with a short summary of your experience, expertise and historical interests. We have a wishlist with episodes we’d like to assign, but if there is something specific that you want to write for us and fits one of these formats, please come forward as well.

If you have any questions, please ask them.
We’re all in this together! Cheers!

11 Likes

I might be able to help with the American side of the war.

I’ve been writing on U.S. history pre-1960 for over 20 years now. I’ve done research on Pearl Harbor (even wrote a paper debunking conspiracy theories surrounding it), the 1940 and 1944 presidential elections (you may have seen my coverage of the 1940 election in this very forum through newspaper articles), the Pacific theater and its general viciousness (I wrote a bit about its war crimes) and U.S. affairs at home and abroad just before and during the war. As you can see, most of my work didn’t revolve around WWII; it was more focused on the 1890s, silent films, BDSM and especially the 1950s.

As for biographies, this is something that I’m actually somewhat new to (one of the only biographies that I’ve dealt with (not written) in detail was Bettie Page, of all people). But if there’s a bio special, then I would gladly help with specials about Wendell Willkie, FDR, Carl Spaatz, Lindbergh and even future Presidents like Nixon, Reagan and Bush 41.

Additions for the bios: Aleda Lutz, Isaac Kidd, Frank Merrill, Sadao Munemori.

You can contact me via email when things are ready: normanstewart1950@gmail.com

10 Likes

I researched 4/4 of The Great War’s Bulgaria videos (the latest being the Treaty of Neuilly) plus various tidbits that made it into the weekly episodes (ex. Doiran defenses). I suppose that counts as experience?

Keep in mind that Bulgarian sources aren’t as widespread, so we’ll have to rely on more “less-academic” sources. Most of them are pretty good though, especially once you’ve been trained to filter out the political alterations.

In terms of bios, I think it’s mandatory to have one on Boris III and the mysteries surrounding his death can be made into a special of their own. The first ever “WW2 Mysteries Episode”.

9 Likes

I would LOVE to have the opportunity to help out with this.

5 Likes

I was workering on a Master’s degree in History with a concentration in Military History. I wrote and researched papers on Franz Ferdinand, the Treaty of Versaille’s relationship to WWII, just to name a few papers. Due to health complications I was unable to finish my Master’s degree. If I can be of help in researching any topics, especially biographies, please let me know. As I am retired I have plenty of time to work on research.

6 Likes

I can do research and writing on stuff related to Romania and bios on King Carol or Ion Antonescu

5 Likes

I have conducted military history research for nearly 30 years with a strong emphasis on the Armies of World War II. Most of my research has been for wargaming and is related to the design of wargame scenarios and game components. I have written articles that were published by wargaming magazines and websites. I consider myself very knowledgeable in how World War II Armies fought, and how they were organized, armed, equipped, and led.

I am most interested in the World War II Eastern Front. In a future post, I want to suggest some future topics to be covered in your World War II show on Youtube. Regarding your request, I believe I can research and write about some of the more obscure aspects of the Eastern Front and especially the contributions made by the Axis Minor Armies, mainly those of Romania. Specifically, I can write a biography of Romania’s greatest leader of armored units, Radu Korne. Also, I can write about the Romanian campaign to capture Odessa in October 1941 and about the Fortification lines constructed by Finland, Hungary, and Romania. A non-Eastern Front topic I can write about is the Battle of Termoli from the Italian Campaign.

9 Likes

I’d be glad to help. I’m interested in all aspects of the world wars, and I’ve been doing a lot of reading on Rommel lately. I can write up a script in a similar vein to the Great War episode on him, but focused more on his post-Great War life, and email it to you before February. If you like it, I’d be willing to work on whatever episodes you have in mind.

6 Likes

Hi Joram and Time Ghost army…

I would be honoured to write for biographic episode(s) of Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding, and Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Park.

The Battle of Britain would make for a superb special episode too (and works in concert with the above)… It’s the turning point of WW2, and possibly the most crucial battle in human history… So seems like a good special :smiley:

they could (perhaps even should) be discussed together, as their contributions/developments/skills complimented each other superbly; they supported each other; and their personalities and general good natures complimented each other magnificently.

They are both tragically under-recognised; their efforts really did save the whole world… Sir Keith having earned such accolades as ‘the only man who could have lost the war in a day, or even an afternoon’ (RAF ace Johnnie Johnson); ‘If any one man won the Battle of Britain, he did. I don’t believe it is recognised how much this one man, with his leadership, his calm judgment and his skill, did to save not only this country, but the world.’ (Air Marshal Lord Tedder, 1947)… And the Nazis gave him the title ‘The Defender of London’.

Though he would not have been able to accomplish what he did, were it not for Lord Dowding’s groundbreaking Dowding System and his strong support throughout the Battle of Britain.

Crucially, both of them were nice/good… So many ‘heroes’ have some less palatable flaws… Lord Dowding and Sir Keith were both thoroughly decent, caring, humble men. One might say Lord Dowding had flaws, though these were at worst harmless, charming quirks (in later life he believed in fairies, spiritualism… Became a vegan… And was also substantially responsible for the abolishment of live vivisection of animals in the UK!)

The Battle of Britain is a massive topic, with so many extraordinary events that could feature… It would be a superb episode!

These are popular topics - particularly Sir Keith - my several Quora answers on him have thousands of likes and hundreds of shares combined - see https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-greatest-person-that-history-has-forgotten/answer/Jim-Schofield-7?filter=all&nsrc=1&sncid=3952048474

Hope you’re all well, keep up the great work!

5 Likes

Right now I am answering all of your Jewish history questions active on OOTF so…

I’ve never done formal historical research - that said, I do plenty of research generally. Biggest weakenesses I suspect: My hebrew isn’t that great anymore, and I have no Yiddish, so if you are looking for someone to look inside the YIVO archives[1] and see, say, what the Forvertz was publishing during ww2, can’t help you there.

That said, if you do a special on the American Jewish response (it’s one of the largest Jewish communities in the world at the time), and more specifically, Jewish GIs, I’d be happy to help. If you throw me questions about “atypical” jewish communities (like, Syria or Bagdad or Egypt) happy to look (or any Jewish community questions, really).

[1]though you might want to avoid YIVO anyway as they have licensing fees, but they do have material no one else will have. http://yivoarchives.org/ That said, they have letters! http://yivoarchives.org/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=32936&q=soldiers

6 Likes

Dear Joram,
I am not an academic, but rather a retired chemical engineer (76 years old) from the USA, also with an MBA from the Univ of Pennsylvania. My wife and I have lived in many places throughout Europe and South America, and my hobby is video assembly…so I appreciate what you fellows go through. I hereby volunteer to help where I can in gathering information in Switzerland or nearby, and forwarding it to you or someone you designate. Perhaps this is of some help.
Arnold Falk
Stans
Switzerland

5 Likes

I’m a volunteer at the Hill Aerospace Museum. I pretend to be an amateur WW2 historian and I’ve given three lectures on World War Two at that museum–one on air base defenses, one on air crew survival, and one on American fighter evolution; these were hour-long presentations on WW2 subjects.

Hill Air Force Base is 80 this year and Wendover Field was part of the network–Wendover is about two hours away by automobile. There a lot going on this year, now that the Air Force has finished its 70th Anniversary.
https://www.aerospaceutah.org/?gclid=CjwKCAiA1fnxBRBBEiwAVUouUkJek8wXRtB37gdFhgiSzKXEbRLoFUuzpblgLP0J7Pu9c0M_B3n1vRoC4X8QAvD_BwE
My own military service was varied–Marines and Army. History helped me during my career because I was in some of the same battlefields that had been fought over in both World Wars.

So what could I contribute? If anything?

7 Likes

I will be glad to assist in any way. I live in Istanbul , Turkey and although Turkey did not participate World War II , it is a huge hobby field of mine and I rearche about it and have a huge library about 20th Century military history. My main area of interest in Naval Campaigns and Mediterranean Theater of war

5 Likes

…As a suggestion of something very interesting chemistry-wise… Prof Herman Pines (a Polish/Russian Jewish migrant/refugee) and Prof Vladmir Ipatieff… And their vital work in the US for Universal Oil Products… They developed a viable method for producing high octane aviation fuels… Which the USA kept secret, but they did provide it to the RAF in large volumes such that for the Battle of Britain, the Fighter Command had all their supercharged V12 Rolls-Royce Merlin III’s running on 100 octane… Allowing higher boost… And from what I’ve read/some RAF tests I have stumbled across from the time, it did lead to noticeable benefits for their rate of climb, power, etc.

See https://www.northwestern.edu/magazine/winter2017/campuslife/then-lab-discovery-powered-allied-fighters-in-battle-of-britain-vladimir-ipatieff-herman-pines.html and https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-04-13-9604130091-story.html

3 Likes

I am very interested in assisting you guys with research if I can be of use. I have mostly been nothing more than a world war 2 history hobbyist up until recently, but since last fall I have been attending university, working on a Major in Historical Studies, and I am getting more familiar with historical sourcing, writing papers, and doing research. I can focus more on the Canadian side of things if you want some more niche knowledge.

2 Likes

What are the primary topics of interest for you regarding Canadian involvement?

1 Like

The Battle of the Atlantic for sure is number one, but beyond that the Air Training Plan, the Canadian army in Italy, the Canadians at Juno Beach, the Battle of the Scheldt, the Falaise Pocket, Caen, etc. I will fully admit that our participation was a minor one, but there were important battles fought that a lot of people seem to not know about. Then again, how many people have a really good understanding of History beyond the bare minimum basics anyway?

Too many people (canadians included) dont know enough about our role in WW2, or WW1 or Korea for that matter.

3 Likes

Um, how exactly? All of my life, I’ve had the impression that Canadian involvement in the war was pretty well-known.

Also, what about the home front?

1 Like

In terms of raw numbers contributed to combat, our army was relatively small, or was under the command of the British, which some people dont know about or see as “not really” Canadians participating on their own. The Battle of the Atlantic is not one big event, but more of a slow grind. The BCATP, while vital, is also training, which does not really get a lot of attention either.

Typing this out, I suppose I should caveat that our role in stuff that people seem to really care about was a minor one. Older documentaries frequently mention us only in passing , as a side-note, or leave us out entirely. Canadians dont know about their own military history, even if they are respectful of veterans and wear their poppies, they just dont look into it.

I’ve met Americans who didn’t think we were even in the Second World War, which I dont hold against them as there are Canadians who think that same thing, but the basis is there. I am no longer surprised by what people do not know, so I make it my thing to teach them if they’ll allow me to. It’s why I love the widespread appeal of an episodic channel like The Great War, and why I recommend Indy and the guys to everyone who wants to know more.

3 Likes

You telling me? Literally no one knows about Bulgaria’s role as a member of the Allies.

4 Likes